Video Game Developer¶
(MS in Software Engineering)
Game design and development continues to evolve and grow, now encompassing media, engineering, design, and many related facets of hardware and software development. Designing, developing, and publishing a competitive game requires a broad understanding and clear appreciation of software engineering. Performance, optimization, and clear design are critical features of a successful game, in particular for mobile platforms. Gaming continues to explore new options for design and development, including mobile, cloud, machine learning, AI, VR, and recent options for AR.
As a video game designer and developer, there are many opportunities to directly apply abstract concepts in a fun, entertaining environment. It’s a lot of work, but also a lot of fun!
Consider these courses:
- COMP 422: Software Development for Wireless/Mobile Devices
- COMP 441: Human-Computer Interface Design
- COMP 413: Intermediate Object-Oriented Development
- COMP 460: Algorithms and Complexity
- graduate version of COMP 323: Game Design and Development
- COMP 479: Machine Learning (useful)
- COMP 484: Artificial Intelligence (useful)
- required COMP 417: Social, Legal, and Ethical Issues in Computing and 2-4 electives
Back to MS Career Paths